After months of training, the Salt Lake City Marathon was something of a disappointment. I started off strong, finishing my first 5 miles in 45 minutes. I was feeling great! I even got to see my Cousin Brooke and my Aunt Cathy.
About mile 6, disaster struck! A woman in front of me had a shirt tied around her waist. As I was getting closer and about to pass, her shirt came off. I caught my foot on it and came down twisting my knee. This happened right by the EMT station, and they all came running (which I thought was great at the time). They checked my knee, told me it was sprained, put a red band on my arm to mark me injured, and followed me in a flashing truck. Talk about embarrassing!
Every few miles, the EMT guys would check my knee and retape it. This caused me some time delays, but I still hit mile 10 at 2 hours. It was all downhill from there. The pain in my knee really started to set in at this point, and it took me 35 minutes to make it the next 3 miles; at which point, I was no longer granted medical clearance for my knee. So the man following me in the flashing truck yelled, through a megaphone I might add with many runners around, "Get off the course!"
I was humiliated and extremely upset. I called Justin sobbing to tell them they kicked me off the course (they said I could continue on the sidewalk, but that they were no longer responsible for me). I walked to Cottonwood Elementary School and waited for Justin there.
The good thing is that the EMT guys called the finish line, and when I went to pick up my gear at the finish line, they gave me a 1/2 medal. So I guess it wasn't all bad. What a round of rotten luck! I guess there is always the St George Marathon! I am hoping to train hard and finish it in 4 hours!
While I was disappointed in the situation, I did the best I could, so I couldn't be disappointed in myself.
Thanks so much to all my family who came to support me! My little sister ran with me. She was able to finish the whole marathon! Way to go Jen!
JUNE
3 weeks ago


4 comments:
Sorry it didn't turn out how you had wanted and trained for.. :(
Do St George for sure!!! You will love it!
I think running a half marathon with a sprained knee is much more impressive than running a full marathon without any injuries--I really am thoroughly impressed, but I'm sorry that it didn't go as you planned--I'm sure you'll have better luck with the St. George--get it in those 4 hours!
I think running a half marathon with a sprained knee is much more impressive than running a full marathon without any injuries--I really am thoroughly impressed, but I'm sorry that it didn't go as you planned--I'm sure you'll have better luck with the St. George--get it in those 4 hours!
I won't lie...I'm pretty jealous of that half medal. :) I've always wanted to run a marathon, but my knees have never let me run more than about five miles at a time. So sorry you got hurt! That's pretty rotten. Hopefully it'll all be better soon!
Post a Comment