Thursday, June 11, 2009

Inspiring Stories Not So Inspiring...

Justin is one of those people who always wants to know the truth about things. He is a very curious person, and if he wants to know about something, he always looks it up. Each time we watch a movie based on a true story, he looks up the facts. I used to think this was fantastic. Knowing the truth of a movie can be rather fun, but sometimes it can kill the most inspiring flicks.

"Dreamer" is about an injured horse who miraculously heals to become a champion.

The Truth: The real horse didn't actually win 1st place--he got 7th. And the little girl character is completely falsified.

"Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" is the story of Sonora Webster who is determined to become a diving girl, and she proves to become a fantastic one. Diving is her dream until she is blinded by an accideny. Determined to continue her dream career of diving, she gets back on the horse and marries Al in the end!

The Truth: The real Sonora Webster didn't even like this movie. She claimed it was entirely inaccurate. She claimed she simply loved to ride horses, and that's why she got back on. :(
"A Beautiful Mind" is the story of a schizophrenic man who is so incredibly intelligent that he drives himself mad. He creates things and people that aren't real to keep his mind occupied.

The Truth: This movie doesn't even have much truth to it at all. The fact that he dreamt up imaginary people is accurate, but the other plot elements are false.

"Cool Runnings" is the story of the first Jamaican bobsled team to compete in the Olympics. This unlikely foursome is able to win the gold medal at the Olympics despite criticism from the other competitors and a lack of support from the Olympic counsel.
The Truth: Jamaica did go to the Olympics to compete in the bobsled event. The team was not made up of sprinters who failed the Olympic trials, and the team was not criticized, but rather, everyone was excited to have them there. There was no big crash at the end either. :(
I am happy to report that "Cinderella Man" is almost dead on! I am so glad at least one inspiring tale can continue to be inspiring in my mind. The only thing not accurate in this movie was the portrayal of the boxer Max. He felt terrible his entire life that he may have killed a man in the ring (they were unable to prove it was really him) that he gave money to the man's widow the rest of his life. Other than that, even some of the things that are said are dead on! :)
I hope I haven't disappointed too much. From now on, I think I'll have Justin keep his information to himself.

4 comments:

Megs said...

Very interesting! I guess having only a few facts can lead up to something pretty entertaining. Instead of saying "based on a true story" they should say "based on a true story but disregarding many of the facts". Shoot. I always hoped that Cool Runnings was dead on.

Unknown said...

I think the movies are like when you have a really great dream and for a few seconds when you wake up you feel like the coolest person ever, and reality is reality, which happens momentarily after waking up. :)

Sandy said...

For the record The Jamaicans never win the Gold in Cool Runnings They don't even finish their last race and they it doesn't say they won it the next year either so I don't know what you are talking about? ;) I gave up on looking up the realities of shows. (I did it for mostly horse shows like Seabiscut) I figure I watch movies for the unreality.

The Jones Family said...

Tell Justin that he needs to just enjoy the movies! I live the truth every day, I don't care if I see it on TV. And the Jamaicans never won the gold on cool runnings! Love you though :)